Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Hooked on Nostalgia

I really love the mornings and taking time to sit on my deck, especially Sunday mornings. I love the quiet of a Sunday morning.

Although quiet is relative because even in the best of times quiet is not really to be found down here in the city.  

That fact was really evident a while back when I took a ride down the west side of Utah Lake. I wanted to take a look at what had been built on the south end of Saratoga Springs, a new city that has been built on the northwest end of Utah Lake, and there has been a good number homes built over there.

What really surprised me though was as I drove to the upper part of the homes going to the west I stopped and got out of the car to walk around a bit and I was struck by the silence. I have a hard time describing how peaceful it was.

That is something I dearly miss that comes from my days as a kid in the middle of 55 acres of pasture that I grew up on. Roaming those pastures it was always quiet. Maybe the baa of the sheep or some cows mooing but other than those interruptions it was always quiet.

Something else that I have missed from then is the call of the Kill Deer and the song of a Meadow Lark.

Back in those days Murray, Utah, was a small town and the surrounding towns, Sandy, Midvale and even Salt Lake were much smaller and there was not the noise going on all around.

I miss those days and the quiet time and also the small towns and especially dirt roads.

No comments:

Post a Comment